Scotland has a justified reputation as a world-leader in areas of technological and scientific innovation and at Brodies we recognise the increasing importance of technology to businesses – from commercial exploitation and outsourcing to safeguarding data and protecting valuable intellectual property.
We offer the market leading technology, outsourcing and information law practice in Scotland, delivering up-to-the-minute, commercially-focused, relevant specialist knowledge to clients operating in every sector of the Scottish economy.
Brodies' solicitors have experience of advising businesses and organisations on the full range of intellectual property and technology issues and work with a wide variety of local and international businesses and organisations across a wide variety of sectors. These include financial services, aviation & defence, oil & gas, energy & utilities, transport, software, food & drink, media & entertainment, luxury brands and life sciences, as well as the public sector.
We provide a wide range of advice to clients on issues including:
- Business critical outsourcing (both IT and business process outsourcing)
- Procurement of IT and telecoms
- Development of software and mobile apps
- Creation and ownership of intellectual property (IP)
- Information law, in areas such as data protection, confidentiality, freedom of information, data sharing and information security
- E-commerce, advertising and the use of social media
In addition, we:
- Perform IP legal audits and due diligence as part of business valuations, sales and acquisitions
- Provide pre-emptive strategic advice to avoid IP and technology disputes and also resolving such disputes in court and through mediation
- Prepare commercial contracts such as licences, research and development, collaboration, distribution and agency agreements
Our expertise in large technology and business process outsourcings is unmatched outside City practices and we are the only team in Scotland recommended by Chambers & Partners legal directory for data protection advice.
Please click here to download our guide to patents.
Brodies was named UK Law Firm of the Year 2014 at The British Legal Awards.