Brodies' experience and expertise covers all the legal issues faced by education clients. This ranges from advising universities and colleges on their day-to-day running and the delivery of strategically important initiatives to supporting local authorities on school closure consultations and placement requests.
Brodies solicitors have established long-standing relationships with clients across the education sector including: regulators; representative bodies; further and higher education institutions; local authorities and independent schools, including: Morrison's Academy, Glasgow Caledonian University, Scottish Qualificiations Authority and City of Edinburgh Council.
We understand exactly how the sector works in Scotland and offer genuine expertise in the many areas specific to education. We regularly advise our clients on governance, funding and employment issues, projects, property and commercial arrangements and educational provision issues.
The breadth of our experience gives us a unique overview of the sector's drivers and needs, including:
- Education sector-specific employment issues
- Post-16 changes to the sector in Scotland and the impact on both universities and colleges
- Key strategic education initiatives
- Transformational change within the tertiary sector and wider community
Our solicitors are experts in:
- Mergers and consolidations within the education sector
- Good governance, including participation on university courts and committees
- Legislative change in the tertiary education sector
- Participating in initiatives aimed at improving Scotland's global competitiveness by leveraging the intellectual assets within the education sector
- Supervising leading knowledge transfer offices
- University spin-outs
- Estates strategy and maximising assets
- The schools sector